Thursday, April 12, 2018

Losing Sleep.. A Travel With No Regrets


I am traveling on a train headed to a destination I know nothing of. I am accompanied in my journey by my wife and my little one.

As the train slowly pulls to stop towards a station, Unknown but there is something familiar about it.

Suddenly I notice Papa (My Father) sitting on one of the benches with my mother. I am so happy to see him. I wave to him "Papa Idhar Aao" (Papa Come Here) just like my daughter calls me. I want him to come meet my family.. my wife.. my daughter.. his bahu (daughter in law) and poti (granddaughter). But he doesn't seem to be listening. 

I want to get down but with my daughter sitting beside me. I can't seem to get up. 

I wave to my mother as well trying to get her attention. But she doesn't realize it.

Suddenly my father turns his head, and looks towards us and gives a big smile which he always did and waves to me. I smile back and he begins to turn his head back again to whatever he was doing. 

I can now see the older form of him with wrinkles and dark circles under his eyes and realize that I will never see him again.

I decide to get off the train, suddenly everything begins to fade to black and I wake up.

I wake up crying, not able to understand what the dream meant and my wife tries to console me but no avail. Somehow, I console myself and arrive at work

Towards the evening, I suddenly realize what the dream was probably trying to tell me. 

Maybe the station was symbolic of life. My father had completed his journey of life. So he was sitting relaxed at the station. I traveling in a train approaching the station was maybe my journey in still in progress and I had to go further. 

I could not get off at the station,  I could not abruptly end my journey. I had responsibilities to take care of, which manifested itself in form of my daughter sitting beside me.

Still, I will miss you all my life, Papa !! Ciao .. till we meet again. May the force be with you.

9 comments:

  1. Brilliantly put! And beautiful meaning brought out of it! You should write more

    ReplyDelete
  2. So well put...Loved the symbolism of the journey. <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautifully written, I agree with Veena, you should write more!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. O my this was so amazing! Love the hidden meaning, really very positive and hopeful. It's really painful to realise that we won't be seeing them again, or hear them again. The journey seems to be longer without them, but we have to move on. New responsibilities, new roles to play. The only constant we have is the love and the memories of the ones we lose along the way!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wowww... Its just wise... I really liked the way you have discribed it ...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Musafir kal bhi tha,
    Musafir aaj bhi hu,
    Kal apno ki talash me tha,
    Aaj apni talash me hu...

    Very well described.

    ReplyDelete
  7. ...Or maybe this was a vision of a parallel universe. One which prolly exists but we cant intrude or enter.

    ReplyDelete